Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Decorations





Last weekend, amidst all the Black Friday chaos, dinners and friends, we decorated for Christmas. It is our family tradition to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love tradition. I remember when I was growing up the security I felt in knowing that some things always stay the same. Life happens, good and bad, so I always remember to keep some things solid and consistant, no matter what, for my girls to depend on. Of course they have their daddy and me and our love which will always remain consistant...but some things need to remain the same for the sake of feeling that no matter what life continues.

So we decorated even though inside I was so very tired that all I really wanted to do was sleep, (you know, the mom kind of sleep where you still hear everything but somehow you look like you are sleeping!). I went Black Friday shopping this year and I am so glad I did as I had more fun than I have had in awhile, as a woman, not a wife or mom, just as me! So I battled the sleepiness as we decorated our home.




They talked me into putting some of the presents under the tree, because it looks so pretty! Now every morning G asks if they can open some "today" and I have to say..."not today".






G enjoyed helping her sisters build this gingerbread train, and giggled as daddy threatened to eat it bit by bit. We still have a gingerbread house to build too.






Most of my decorations I have had for many years and still love to bring them out every year to look at. We also buy each of the kids a yearly ornament for the tree, so every year there are three new ones added to the bunch. I also add a few more if I see something I just can't resist. We have actually moved away from the traditional breakable balls to more of the homemade or personalized ornaments. I still have all the ones the kids made in grade school of course and to their dismay sometimes! And every year the day after Christmas I go out and get the decorations I had my eye on at 75% off and store them away so the next year when we pull them out there are a few new surprises.




Of course the rain over the weekend dampened our outside decorating but we will sure take care of that this weekend! So do you all have your decorations up yet?

4 comments:

Mom! Dude! said...

Good heavens, we must have been separated at birth! The need for traditions, the decorating on Thanksgiving weekend, the special ornaments each year for the kids, the 75% off shopping after Christmas for next year's Christmas...I knew there was a reason I felt such a kinship with you!

PS: Your house decorations, Christmas tree (and the gingerbread train) are beautiful!

Karen L. said...

Thanks Jam...it's nice to know I am not the only sentimental one out there :). This season is just so important to me for all that it means. I can't wait to see you at the Christmas Party and finally meet your kids!!

Unknown said...

How festive and inviting. Your Christmas tree decorations are really great. The little gingerbread train is so adorable. I want you to add some more pictures of your home.

Karen L. said...

LOL....I have thought about putting more pics up. I have an entire table top of snowmen and lighted globes. It is an elegant display and the only decorations my 3 year old can't 'touch'. She is, however, very respectful of her mommies treasures and stands and gazes without touching. We also have a calander made of felt that has on the top a simple manger and day by day we add stars, shepards, cattle, sheep, wisemen and then finally, Joseph on the 22nd, Mary on the 23th and baby Jesus in the manger on the evening of the 24th. There's so much more....maybe I will do one more blog on them :)

 

Web Traffic Statistics