Monday, October 13, 2008

Dentist Fear

G has her first dentist appointment on Wednesday and I am worried because she has her mind set that she doesn't want to go. She isn't much on doctors with all she has been through. It took me a couple of days to finally find the dentist I wanted to take her to. (Why can't all dentists see kids? Most of them say no unless they are 8 years old and up!) So after about 12 phone calls I finally found a very non aggressive and highly recommended dentist that would allow me to go back with her for the appointment. No way is my 3 year old child going to be alone in a room with someone I don't know!! I haven't been talking to her about it very much because I don't want her to dwell on it. Whenever she does hear me mention it she tells me, "remember mommy, I said I don't want to go to the dentist". Isn't that insane?! She has never seen or heard about anyone having a bad experience with the dentist. She even has a couple of books about going to the dentist. I think she has some kind of phobia about people looking into her mouth,nose and/or ears. When we go to her pediatrician it takes lots of coaxing to get her to open up and sometimes she won't and the doctor has to use that horrible wooden stick to get her to open up!!

Anyone have any good advice to offer??

8 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL...I don't know if I have any good advise...but I think you did the right thing finding a dentist that will let you go back with her.

Mom! Dude! said...

Karen, I purposely waited until after your appointment on Wednesday to reply...Alex just had his first dental visit and I can now admit: it was AWFUL! It really was. Tears, pleading, arguing, begging, whining, and that was just me (HAHA)! Hope your went better than ours.

Karen L. said...

I am happy to report that G was a champion. She didn't shed a tear. She just sort of zoned out..like we all do..she was cooperative and even very well behaved. The dentist herself took her afterwards and let her get three toys from the box. They said she was one of the best three year olds/first timers they ever had in there!

Mom! Dude! said...

I'm so jealous....our experience was truly hideous. I'm glad it's only once a year. Maybe at G's next visit, Alex and I can tag along, so I can point out to him how he should behave in the dental chair!

Karen L. said...

I have heard that it works if they can see someone being more relaxed and at ease...her next appointment is in April...we can do lunch!!

Mom! Dude! said...

As long as it's after April 15th...I work for a tax attorney...and life here does not exist except for tax returns until after April 15th! (Just kidding)

Did you come to GVL for your visit?

Karen L. said...

It is in Williston...the practice is in an old remodeled victorian house. I was very pleasantly surprised. The dentist came very well recommended but I was still hesitant at a 'small town' practice. The dentist was in her early to mid 30's and very impressive in her skills and chair side manner! It takes allot to impress me and allot of what impresses me is what my 'intuition' tells me. I am learning as I get older to listen to the 'still small voice inside me'.

Mom! Dude! said...

I know exactly what you mean. I love, love, love Andrew's surgeon...he's such an excellent doctor, and most of what makes him as such is his absolute LOVE for children. A good clinician is a wonderful thing, but that's academics...you can't fake actually caring about the welfare of your patients. I am always so comfortable when Andrew has to have surgery. We're blessed.

 

Web Traffic Statistics