Monday, September 15, 2008

I'd rather it was me

This morning was quiet...too quiet. I woke up as usual at 5am to wake my teens for school and crawled back in bed until 7. At 7am I watch the girls get on the bus and then my 3 year old is usually starting to stir but my house was silent. The mommy in me of course goes into panic mode and I tiptoe into her room where she is soundly sleeping, even snoring. I close her door so she can get her rest which she needs from our busy weekend and from battling her cold. I see my husband off to work, make the beds, feed the cat and check my emails...still quiet...so I start playing solitaire on the computer. I look up and an hour and a half has gone by, it's 9:15!! I jump up and run to G's room just as she shouts out "Mommy, something is in my ear!!" What!! Something is IN her EAR!!! I run in and I see that she has brownish yucky discharge coming out of her ear. It has run down her face, gotten in her hair and on her pillow. So after I clean her up, strip the bed and get her a drink I call the pediatrician and of course she says to bring her in...but the first appointment isn't till 2pm. When we get to the doctors office I had to wait for 92 minutes to see the doctor!!! Now I love our doctor and I know she was busy because I could hear all of the commotion and I know she spends time with each patient so I don't mind the usual expected 30 minute wait but 92 MINUTES???? Okay so she finally comes in and we discover that G has a massive ear infection. She said the ear was so bad that she couldn't tell if the ear drum had ruptured or not...(ruptured??!! ...it sounds terrible but according to the doctor it "repairs itself and 'usually' leaves no permanent hearing loss or damage"..those are the words she used to 'soothe' me). We get prescriptions for eardrops and penicillin and head to the pharmacy...$83.00 later, (and that is just the copay!!) , I am on the way home,(and broke), and G throws up all over the van, her carseat and herself. I pull over run around and get her out of the seat. I calm her down and clean her up and put fresh clothes on her. Once I get her back into the slightly damp carseat she passes out sound asleep on the rest of the drive home.

Now she is sitting on my bed watching TV and I actually got brave enough to give her a dose of the penicillin...and yaaayy she did not throw it up!!

I don't like it when my kids are sick. I guess I am too much of a worrier. I especially don't like high fevers and throwing up!! It seems like it would just be allot easier if it was me that was sick instead...

Karen

2 comments:

Mom! Dude! said...

I so know what you mean...both my babies have been battling head colds...I felt so bad for both of them, wishing it was me. Guess what? I finally caught it from them! So yeah, better us than them. Nothing's worse then seeing, hearing, feeling your child so sick!

Unknown said...

Karen...I hope G is feeling better today...I'm sure that was like a scary moment for her...& you. I know it would had been for me. Another thing that is helpful for the ear is a boiled onion...yes!! I can tell u more about it later. But it always worked for me.

 

Web Traffic Statistics