Friday, September 19, 2008

What Matters

It amazes me how we forget so easily about what matters most to us. We really only have a short time here on our little planet earth in the middle of nowhere. I try so hard to live my life without forgetting to 'see' what is going on around me. I don't know why I put so much stress on myself to get the laundry done and make sure the house is clean. Why does it matter that we eat lunch at noon everyday and have dinner at 6pm? I find myself getting so caught up in details and 'to do' items that I forget to notice these people around me. Life becomes a chore and a routine. I don't want that...I want life to be fun and happy and spontanious. I want to laugh and not be thinking in the back of my mind that I really should be folding those clothes or cleaning my closet. If I was gone tomorrow would it matter more that my closet was clean or that I spent an hour drawing pictures with my three year old? Today I chose the pictures...we drew flowers and clouds and rain and grass. I watched while she proudly wrote her name,(correctly) three times in a row!! Then we curled up on the couch under a blanket and laughed while we watched 'Maggie and the Ferocious Beast!' Thats how I want my family to remember me. I want them to remember me as someone that enjoyed our time together; if they can add on, "and our house was always clean" then thats great but whats important is that they remember me...and the time I spend with them.

I guess it took me spending the week in 'lockdown' to realize that the world doesn't crumble if appointments are missed and laundry still sits undone. Our existence goes on regardless of how we spend our time but the quality of our existence depends solely on how our time is spent. Don't forget the ones that are important to you. Take the time to stop and listen. Squat down and look your child in his or her eyes and let them have 3 or 4 minutes of your time to tell you about a game they played or a picture they drew even if it means you'll be 3 or 4 minutes late. Who knows...maybe thats Gods plan to keep you from a disastrous accident or mishap somewhere down the road...

Lets all try to remember what matters.


Health update: G seems to be feeling better during the day but is still coughing allot at night...she slept in our bed again last night and when I placed my hand on her ribcage while she was sleeping I could feel her lungs rattle when she took a breath. Keep her in your prayers...I still feel pretty yucky too but she is my main concern.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right. I sometimes forget that 30 years from now, my sons won't care if the laundry was always folded immediately or if the floor was spotless. No, they'll remember the special moments I spent with them that were fun and meaningful. Thanks for the reminder!!

-Sarah
http://raisingboys.gainesville.com/

Mom! Dude! said...

Amen to that! (This said as I, too, tonight, gave up on trying to clean the kitchen, and just went with Big A to play "'struction men" [i.e., we're building a big hotel tonight, LOL]!

Unknown said...

its amazing of what we need to remind ourselves of...and unfortunately at times it takes an illness or something else tragedy to remind us of this.

Its a gift to us from God- our children and we often need to be reminded of that and one day...when we look back and smile, we can say...."thank you lord for that gift."

ImagineMel said...

Having just come home from a football game before which a favorite journalist died, literally on the side of the road, on the way to the game, I have to say your blog is spot on. He covered my cheerleaders so nicely over the summer and I MEANT to thank him. I didn't. All the little things that I get so frustrated with are so very small. This is the second person I've lost this year who I MEANT to talk to, MEANT to thank, and I didn't. My laundry and my dirty dishes are not nearly as important as I thought. Hug your little one. I'll say a prayer for her.

 

Web Traffic Statistics